How to Maximize Your Hiring Chance
By Anna Harrison
Applying for jobs can be stressful and overwhelming for anyone, especially if you’re a graduating senior and don’t know where to begin. FUTURE NOW is here to help. Recently, FUTURE NOW had special Info Sessions with recruiters from Spectrum Reach, Spectrum Networks, and Publicis Media. Here are some great tips and insights they shared on how to move forward with confidence:
1. RESEARCH the company you are interested in. Hiring managers want to know WHY you’re interested in working at THEIR COMPANY. Having a vague answer will not help your cause. So, take the time to research the company, get clarity about WHY you want to work there, and get specific.
2. SHOW ENERGY and ENTHUSIASM! This doesn’t mean you have to be a chatterbox and an extrovert but show energy in your voice, posture, and expression. Be proactive and curious. Demonstrate your interest by sharing what you’ve read about the company’s latest news and announcements and asking smart questions. It can go a long way and shows that you would be a dedicated employee.
3. CONSIDER DIFFERENT JOB OPPORTUNITIES. It’s okay to apply for different jobs at the same company. Be open to possibilities but be thoughtful and tailor your resume and/or cover letter to the job you’re applying for.
4. APPLY, APPLY, APPLY. Even if you don’t think you’re a 100% match for a job, because you’re missing a few of the qualifications, apply anyway. Go for it—there’s no harm in trying, and there’s no reward without a bit of risk. And, in the meantime, work on getting the qualifications! That’s you being PROACTIVE and that’s impressive!
5. FOLLOW YOUR PASSION. That passion will be visible to others, and that will help you get to where you want to go. You may have all the technical skills, but without passion and purpose, what’s the point? Recruiters want to hire people who care about what they do, are driven, and thus, will put effort into their work. If you care, it will show.